Gala Evening

The Friends of Tredegar House
Presented a
Gala Evening
At
St. Joseph’s RC High School,
Pencarn Way, Tredegar Park, Newport
On Wednesday 28th September 2011

.  We are pleased to announce that our Fund raising

event raised £750.00 with an audience of 122 people.

In attendance was our

President The Right Worshipful the Mayor of Newport

Councillor Mrs Margaret Cornelious..

 

The Friends of Tredegar House

Thank all the Artists that appeared

making

A truly enjoyable evening enjoyed by one and all.

 

Click Here for the programme


National Trust Shop/Public Library

The revamped visitor centre, shop & library at Tredegar House was made possible by a grant from Cymal, Council of Museums, Archives and Libraries in Wales.  It was officially opened by the Culture & Heritage Minister, Alan Ffred Jones on Thursday 11th February 2010.  Extensive works were carried out including a new replacement slate roof, and iron guttering: replacement of existing front, rear and internal doors to the lobby; these are now glass to allow natural light to enter the building and are automatic sliding doors to keep the building warmer.

As well as the Shop, Visitor Centre and Library the space now contains a Learning Space with 4 new PC’s along the rear wall where informal classes will be held, and a Family History area, where the public will be able to access family history research.

At the National Trust gift shop, you can browse and purchase a gift or keepsake as a reminder of your day out at Tredegar House.

Spring Fayre

 

The Spring Fayre held in The Morgan Rooms

At Tredegar House on Saturday 26th March was a great success.

It raised a  in excess of £800, this was thanks to all who donated & sold bric-a-brac, also The Friends of Tredegar House Sewing Group who made lovely items to sell & members who made bird tables & feeders to sell. There was even a doggy crèche provided to help allow dog walkers to visit the fayre.

Here are a few photographs taken on the day.

Four members of Friends Sewing Group

r

Our Chairman Anne Pegington OBE with Assembly Member Rosemany Bulter

 

A selection of the bird boxes & feeders

 

Old Time Music Hall

TROUPERS MUSIC HALL

In The New Hall at Tredegar House
Wednesday 22nd September 2010

 

A packed New Hall, many in the audience in the dress of the period, were enthralled and entertained

by Troupers Music Hall For two hours, filled with song and comedy and audience participation.

Hosted by Derek Richards together with The Troupers:

Mrs. Anne Price-Jones

Mrs Sue Morgan

Mrs Sharon Davies

Mr. Don Smith

Mrs. Eira Richards

Ms. Jeannette Massotthi (Musical director)

At the interval refreshments were served.  A good time was had by all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 







Tredegar House and the Ryder Cup

Tredegar House Park turned into a Park and ride for the duration of  The Ryder Cup.

However this had to be done to alleviate traffic chaos en route to the Celtic Manor for this Prestigious event

Ryder Cup Stewards

Left to Right Annie Parker , Les Case,Ruth Knight,MontyDart.

Saturday and Sunday

The  Ground floor of the House was open free of charge for the spectators

returning to their cars.

Four of the Friends of Tredegar House acted as stewards along with

Anne Tame and Emily Price of Tredegar House

It was a wet and muddy weekend at Celtic Manor all returning spectators were in a varying degree

of muddiness, but were approached  and invited to view the house, many where concerned they were too muddy

but those who took up the invitation where greatly surprised and enthralled  and said they would visit again.

All in all it was a success as the House had been introduced to many more people

from far,wide and even locals


Miniature Cabinet Returns to Tredegar House

An unusual and elegant walnut cabinet with ties to the Morgan family who lived in Tredegar House, Newport for five centuries, has been returned to its original home thanks to grants from independent charity The Art Fund, the MLA/V&A Purchase Grant Fund, Friends of Tredegar House and the Beecroft Bequest.

The cabinet went on display at Tredegar House last week. It was acquired at a Bonhams auction for £69,600, of which £34,140 came from The Art Fund and £24,360 from the MLA/V&A Purchase Grant Fund. The Friends of Tredegar House raised £6,100 with the Beecroft Bequest funding the remaining £5,000.

Andrew Macdonald, Acting Director of The Art Fund, said: “Not only is this cabinet beautifully crafted and striking in its walnut colour, it has strong ties to Tredegar House and the Morgan family and offers a glimpse at Sir William Morgan’s taste for elegant design. The Art Fund is delighted to have helped bring the piece home.”

Emily Price, Curator at Tredegar House, said: “We were extremely excited when we saw that this pretty cabinet was coming up for auction, and knew that we had to try to raise the money to bring it back to Tredegar House permanently. Such distinctive and attractive pieces of furniture from the House’s original collection do not come onto the market very often, so last month’s auction was a rare opportunity to enrich our displays. The new acquisition will help us to give visitors a taste of how opulent the House was when the Morgan family lived here.”

The cabinet appears to have been created c 1720, during the reign of George I. It is thought to have been commissioned especially for Sir William Morgan (1700 – 1731), part of the Morgan family who lived in the House for over 500 years.

Elegantly shaped and attractive in its warm, golden colour, the cabinet is particularly rare because of its diminutive size. The body is made from walnut, inlaid with boxwood and ebonised lines. Effectively a scaled down adults bureau, the piece may well have been made for Sir William Morgan’s son.

Sir William Morgan was an extravagant spender and had an avid interest in fine craft. During his short life, he acquired silver punch bowls, built cock pits and race courses.

Tredegar House is one of the finest and most intriguing late 17th century Houses in Wales and indeed Great Britain. The Morgan family, who lived on the Tredegar House site for over 500 years, sold the property in 1951. The collection was dispersed through the 1950s, largely at auction, with this piece being sold in 1957. Today the House seeks to bring these original pieces ‘home’. Since Newport City Council bought the House in 1974, many original works have been returned.

This cabinet appeared in 1957 House Sale catalogue, and there are labels on the back of the cabinet which read ‘Tredegar Park’ and ‘Lord Tredegar’. Such labels appear on other pieces originally from the collection. Evidence suggests that it has not been on public display since 1962, when it was exhibited at the CINOA (Confédération Internationale des Négociants en Oeuvres d’Art) International Art Treasures Exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum in 1962.

Unexplored Tredegar

 

Tour With a Difference.

Whereas everybody is familiar with the inside of Tredegar House, on the 28th July, for a change, we were given a tour of the OUTSIDE. Beginning near the Brew House, Paul discussed the original functions of the outbuildings and how different the walk from the public car park is today. This used to be the prettiest cricket pitch in Monmouthshire, where the Tredegar Park team, made up of estate staff, played. The Greater Barn and Lesser Barn used to be one gigantic barn before a fire in the middle in the 19th century. Now the staff car park separates the two buildings.

In the Cedar Garden we considered the exterior of the house and discussed a few architectural curiosities, such as the Bath Stone swags of fruit underneath the first floor windows: these are extremely rare and similar decorations can only really be found on Amsterdam Town Hall. A discussion of Sir Briggs’ monument lay to rest an old legend that he was so named at the Charge of the Light Brigade when he received a Russian sabre cut and was knighted. Apparently, he had been ‘Sir’ before this heroic adventure. We then walked through the Orangery Garden and into the Stable Yard, once called the Coach Washing Yard, where in later years Lord Tredegar stored his impressive collection of motor vehicles. On the exterior of the stables the columns, or pilasters, are actually depictions of ‘heel posts’ that divided stalls in stables, to show that although the building is remarkably grand, it is indeed a stable block. In the 17th century such heel-posts would often be ornamented at the top with carved wood or stone acorns or pineapples.

The Riding School was often used for social occasions like the start of the Tredegar Hunt. During the school years this was the gymnasium, which must have been bitterly cold on a winter’s morning! The Riding Stables with intact stalls were used by the British Army in both the Crimean and Boer Wars.

The evening, which ended with wine and nibbles prepared by our Maureen Butterworth and her helpers, was enjoyed by all.

Parklife – In Out, In Out.

Park LifeNo, we haven’t taken up dancing – this was our experience at Parklife today. Having set up the stall, the rain started – heavily. Neither we, nor Oliver (Museums, next door tent) had walls. All very wet, Oliver went to look for walls for both tents. He returned, ‘They can’t find them.’ Then a voice came over the microphone, ‘If you need walls for your tent, can you come and collect them?’ Off trudged Oliver. Returning, ‘The person on the microphone doesn’t know they can’t find the walls!’ Again we heard, ‘If anyone wants walls …’ The rain having stopped, we got our stuff out again.

Judith and David arrived and, using that well known Heath Robinson invention of two large sticks and gaffer tape, got the banner up at the sides. Then a sudden wind took our boards away – accompanied by assorted leaflets. David went on a mission for the missing walls. Judith pointed out that the Mayor was getting rapidly nearer, and, as President of the FOTH, wouldn’t want to see soggy leaflets. ‘Or have to balance the display boards on his knee to view them,’ said Monty.

Eventually two men arrived with some Guantanamo orange walls and said, ‘We did call over the microphone for you to collect them,’ but beat a hasty retreat before we, or Oliver, next door, could lynch him. When Annie arrived, with the sun, we got our displays three quarters outside where they could be seen – and many people came to chat about the House and Friends.

Suddenly it rained again, so everything went back in. Alan and Ruth arrived and as we were fully staffed I went for a wander. Not a yard away, I saw Derek Brockway, the BBC Weatherman. Photo opportunity, I thought. He was on the way to sign his new book but promised to come back – and true to his word, he did – and then the sun came out again – well, it would for Derek wouldn’t it! Many thanks to Judith and David, Annie, Alan and Ruth on the Friends of Tredegar House stall.

Monty Dart

Friends Of Tredegar House Musical Evening

Male Voice ChoirOn Wednesday, 23rd of June, a beautiful summer’s evening, we gathered in St Joseph’s High School for a concert by the Gwent Police Male Choir supported by guest artists. In the audience was this year’s president of the Friends of Tredegar House, the worshipful Mayor of Newport, Bill Langsford, with his wife Sue.

What wonderful musical talent the education service of Gwent has on its staff. The Musical Director of the choir, Roger Appleby, is very well known throughout musical circles in Wales and his adaptations for the choir were first class. Having myself grown up in a family of choristers and having sung for thirty years in male voice choirs, I was most impressed with the discipline of the choir under Roger’s direction. They sang without needing sheet music so they were able to watch the conductor and all finish as one. The choir was well balanced, with a good number of top tenors and bottom basses along with the middle range voices, so producing a lovely harmony.

The MC for the evening, from amongst the choir, was entertaining and funny. His stories were appropriate to each song and artist. Chris Perkiss entertained us with some lovely solos. Her many years experience singing with operatic societies was evident as she really came into her own with the light operatic pieces.

Veronica Walsh, an old friend of Tredegar Friends, gave a delightful and varied programme of piano music. She had played the same piano before, as a girl when she was at the school which was then in Tredegar House. Very Nostalgic.

We all enjoyed a glass of wine in the interval and the evening concluded with a very good speech from the Mayor expressing thanks to the choir and guest artists, and a special vote of thanks to Judith Rice and her team who had worked so hard to organize the evening. The evening was a great success and raised a £1000 for the Friends of Tredegar House which will be spent towards bringing home to Tredegar House some Morgan memorabilia from Australia.

DR Hewinson, member

Returned From Australia

 

Emily Price Curator of  Tredegar House – welcoming Mr. Michael Smith

ITEMS RETURNED FROM AUSTRALIA – May 2010

A wonderful collection of items relating to the Morgan’s & their servants had been offered for sale.  The various items  offered by private sale had  the asking price of £10.000 – which The Friends have raised & the items below were returned to Tredegar House in May 2010 by Michel & Jeannette Smith.  The curator Emily had corresponded with Michael & Jeanette Smith for 4 years and it was so good for her & The Friends to meet evenutally with them.  An evening was arranged for members to view the items prior to being catalogued. Michael entertained the full New Hall with many stories of his memories when he was a young boy and visited the house.  The fantastic collection has now been documented, and most pieces have aready gone out on display around the House.  These include the telescope which has been put in front of the portrait of Courtenay Morgan holding that same instrument , and the tea service which Mrs Williams the Housekeeper gave to the donors parents when they got married.  Hopefully items such as the Cartier watches will be on display next season.

In May the collection of some 60 objects which the Friends bought for the house returned from Australia.

  1. Personal Asprey London leather travelling case and contents, including two bedside clocks
  2. Small Asprey London matching leather box containing gold and pearl shirt studs
  3. Mother of pearl personal domino set (miniature set, in case) -Evan
  4. Two Braille Cartier watches
  5. One white pearl mounted on gold base, back-collar stud; three black pearl front shirt studs; three amethyst/gold front shirt studs, for formal wear
  6. Poaching stick.
  7. Horse (Hands) measuring stick – Evan’s staff
  8. Two hard cover books given to my late father by Evan and personally autographed.
  9. T. Goode & Co, London, South Audley Street tea service (marked #6610) given to my parents by Mrs Maud Williams (Housekeeper) when they got married on 8 August 1935.
  10. Cutlery set given to my parents by Evan when they got married
  11. Small diamond and ruby red gentleman’s tie pin which is a replica of the Royal Yacht Squadron pennant: yacht “The Liberty” was a member
  12. One button from Courtenay’s jacket showing anchor with Tredegar crest above – ex “The Liberty”.
  13. Telescope from the yacht “The Liberty”
  14. Brass clock and barometer set from “The Liberty” (items 13 and purchased by Henry Smith when the ship was broken up at Newport docks)
  15. Mini opera monocular
  16. Lightweight brown Malacca wood cane with gold top – used by Courtenay when eyesight was failing
  17. Assorted bone handled two pronged cutlery – circa 1700’s
  18. Three very large ornate wine glasses – circa 1700’s (claret)
  19. Number of A4 professional black and white photographs showing Tredegar as it was in its prime
  20. Photographs of “Old Sayzeland” (William), by himself and one with his wife and son.
  21. Photographs of Henry Smith with Blue Boy and one with Blue Boyby himself sitting on large flower pot
  22. Photograph of Jack Holloway (Head Gamekeeper) with his family.

AND MORE……….

 

 

Copyright © 2012 Friends of Tredegar House