Christmas At Tredegar House 2012

     Christmas at Tredegar House 2012

 

Link To Christmas at Tredegar House 2013

(click here)

 

 

 

Local History Day at Newport Reference Library

Local History Day at Newport Reference Library October 1st 2011

 

The Friends of Tredegar House were invited to have a stall at the city centre Reference Library. On one of the hottest days of the year, Ruth, Annie and Monty arrived  to talk to people about the Friends of Tredegar House.the display boards had an Upstairs Downstairs theme as recently – notably because of the FOTH website,we have had contact from a number of relatives of Servants and Workers who once served at Tredegar House.

 they have sent us photographs and accounts

(which obviously I share with TH)

 Whilst we had the Morgan Family on one set of boards the other was devoted to Servants and Workers.

Keep the information coming in folks.

Annie and Ruth went into John Frost Square in costume, with leaflets and brochures for Christmas at Tredegar House and brought in people who were unaware of the event, the Library Staff were very impressed with that. We had a good day  hard work, we never stopped and we hope that we have signed up some potential new members and raised awareness of Tredegar House in general.

Many thanks to the Reference Library staff to say for the opportunity of being involved in the event and the cups of tea and coffee they provided. Well over 100 people came to the event (not including those using the Reference Library). It has been judged a great success and plans are already in place to make it an annual event. Other organisations taking part were

Newport Local History Society, 14 Locks, Oxford House Museum, Risca,Monmouthshire Railway Societyand a display of Cashmore  from Gwent Family History Society.

 However, we were without doubt the busiest stall.         

By:- Monty Dart


 

R

 

Newport and Caerphilly bridge the gap

Newport and Caerphilly bridge the gap

From News Wales

Section Environment | Published on 12 Oct 2011

Newport and Caerphilly’s mayors yesterday met in the middle of a historic bridge which links their areas.

Iron Bridge, near Draethen, was built over the River Rhymney in 1829 but was closed to the public in 2008 because of its deteriorating condition.

It has now re-opened following a programme of restoration carried out by Newport City Council and Caerphilly County Borough Council with grant funding from Cadw, the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) and Countryside Council for Wales.

Newport’s Mayor Councillor Margaret Cornelious, who walked from the city’s side of the bridge, said: “For almost two centuries, people used this bridge to cross the river until it sadly had to close because of damage to the structure.

“I am extremely pleased that it has been restored to its former glory and I hope it will be enjoyed by walkers for many generations to come.”

Councillor Ron Davies, Caerphilly’s cabinet member for regeneration and planning joined the Mayor, Councillor Vera Jenkins, at the ceremony.

He said, “I am delighted to see this magnificent structure restored to its former glory once more. The bridge’s restoration has generated a lot of local interest and means a great deal to communities on both sides of the river”.

The 16-metre span cast iron bridge was built on the estate of Lord Tredegar who commissioned it to provide access for horse-drawn vehicles and pedestrians from Ruperra Castle to and from the church at Lower Machen and the surrounding area.

It forms part of a circular walk which takes in other places of interest including Ruperra Castle, St Michael and All Angels, Plas Machen and Craig Ruperra summer house.

Gala Evening

The Friends of Tredegar House
Presented a
Gala Evening
At
St. Joseph’s RC High School,
Pencarn Way, Tredegar Park, Newport
On Wednesday 28th September 2011

.  We are pleased to announce that our Fund raising

event raised £750.00 with an audience of 122 people.

In attendance was our

President The Right Worshipful the Mayor of Newport

Councillor Mrs Margaret Cornelious..

 

The Friends of Tredegar House

Thank all the Artists that appeared

making

A truly enjoyable evening enjoyed by one and all.

 

Click Here for the programme


Reference Books

Two Ruperra books.

Some Estate members worked at Ruperra and Tredegar House

these books are a useful guide

Serving under Ruperra 1900-1939”  by Pat Moseley, is based on tape recordings taken in the 1980s and 90s of employees and local people who knew and worked on the Ruperra Estate, once part of the great Tredegar Estate of South East Wales. There are plenty of pictures of people and their homes, and an index to help you look for your relations who may have been employed from 1900 up to the Second World War. by Colonel Freddie Morgan and Courtenay, Lord Tredegar.

 

Ruperra Castle – War and Flames 1939-46 “  by Pat Moseley is taken from the memories of locals and a procession of soldiers’ regiments sent there for training from the beginning of World War II, through the burning down of the Castle, to the end of the War and the decline of the Castle. There are plenty of pictures and recordings and an index to help you find if your relations were there.

Both books are available from Pat Jones-Jenkins at Areithin ,  Heol Ton,  Ton Kenfig,   CF33 4PS

Email patjonesjenkins@googlemail.com or Telephone 01656 741622

__________________________________________

—————————————————————————————-

Excellently researched using the Tredegar Park manuscripts held at the National Library of Wales and local newspapers this book is useful for those interested in the running of the Estate. It also contains names of farmers, estate workers, farms and cottages.

 

TREDEGAR – The History of an Agricultural Estate 1300 – 1956’ by Roger Phillips

ISBN 1 85421 096 3

This book is out of print but sometimes crops up on antiquarian book sites

There seems to be one at Powys Libraries and Archives (click Here)

 

 

 

 

Old Time Music Hall

TROUPERS MUSIC HALL

In The New Hall at Tredegar House
Wednesday 22nd September 2010

 

A packed New Hall, many in the audience in the dress of the period, were enthralled and entertained

by Troupers Music Hall For two hours, filled with song and comedy and audience participation.

Hosted by Derek Richards together with The Troupers:

Mrs. Anne Price-Jones

Mrs Sue Morgan

Mrs Sharon Davies

Mr. Don Smith

Mrs. Eira Richards

Ms. Jeannette Massotthi (Musical director)

At the interval refreshments were served.  A good time was had by all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 







Tredegar House and the Ryder Cup

Tredegar House Park turned into a Park and ride for the duration of  The Ryder Cup.

However this had to be done to alleviate traffic chaos en route to the Celtic Manor for this Prestigious event

Ryder Cup Stewards

Left to Right Annie Parker , Les Case,Ruth Knight,MontyDart.

Saturday and Sunday

The  Ground floor of the House was open free of charge for the spectators

returning to their cars.

Four of the Friends of Tredegar House acted as stewards along with

Anne Tame and Emily Price of Tredegar House

It was a wet and muddy weekend at Celtic Manor all returning spectators were in a varying degree

of muddiness, but were approached  and invited to view the house, many where concerned they were too muddy

but those who took up the invitation where greatly surprised and enthralled  and said they would visit again.

All in all it was a success as the House had been introduced to many more people

from far,wide and even locals


Membership

MembershipBecome a Friend

Membership is open to all who wish to support the aims of the Friends. We hope you will complete the application form on the membership page.

When you become a friend, you will receive a membership card, free parking in grounds for  four hours per day, four newsletters a year

Activities

  • Winter talks in the Morgan Room
  • Giving help with fund-raising activities
  • Visits to other historic sites

 

To print membership form please Click Here

 

If you are unable to see the membership form after clicking the above link

you will need Adobe Reader installed on your computer or laptop

Adobe Reader (Click Here to Obtain)

 

Miniature Cabinet Returns to Tredegar House

An unusual and elegant walnut cabinet with ties to the Morgan family who lived in Tredegar House, Newport for five centuries, has been returned to its original home thanks to grants from independent charity The Art Fund, the MLA/V&A Purchase Grant Fund, Friends of Tredegar House and the Beecroft Bequest.

The cabinet went on display at Tredegar House last week. It was acquired at a Bonhams auction for £69,600, of which £34,140 came from The Art Fund and £24,360 from the MLA/V&A Purchase Grant Fund. The Friends of Tredegar House raised £6,100 with the Beecroft Bequest funding the remaining £5,000.

Andrew Macdonald, Acting Director of The Art Fund, said: “Not only is this cabinet beautifully crafted and striking in its walnut colour, it has strong ties to Tredegar House and the Morgan family and offers a glimpse at Sir William Morgan’s taste for elegant design. The Art Fund is delighted to have helped bring the piece home.”

Emily Price, Curator at Tredegar House, said: “We were extremely excited when we saw that this pretty cabinet was coming up for auction, and knew that we had to try to raise the money to bring it back to Tredegar House permanently. Such distinctive and attractive pieces of furniture from the House’s original collection do not come onto the market very often, so last month’s auction was a rare opportunity to enrich our displays. The new acquisition will help us to give visitors a taste of how opulent the House was when the Morgan family lived here.”

The cabinet appears to have been created c 1720, during the reign of George I. It is thought to have been commissioned especially for Sir William Morgan (1700 – 1731), part of the Morgan family who lived in the House for over 500 years.

Elegantly shaped and attractive in its warm, golden colour, the cabinet is particularly rare because of its diminutive size. The body is made from walnut, inlaid with boxwood and ebonised lines. Effectively a scaled down adults bureau, the piece may well have been made for Sir William Morgan’s son.

Sir William Morgan was an extravagant spender and had an avid interest in fine craft. During his short life, he acquired silver punch bowls, built cock pits and race courses.

Tredegar House is one of the finest and most intriguing late 17th century Houses in Wales and indeed Great Britain. The Morgan family, who lived on the Tredegar House site for over 500 years, sold the property in 1951. The collection was dispersed through the 1950s, largely at auction, with this piece being sold in 1957. Today the House seeks to bring these original pieces ‘home’. Since Newport City Council bought the House in 1974, many original works have been returned.

This cabinet appeared in 1957 House Sale catalogue, and there are labels on the back of the cabinet which read ‘Tredegar Park’ and ‘Lord Tredegar’. Such labels appear on other pieces originally from the collection. Evidence suggests that it has not been on public display since 1962, when it was exhibited at the CINOA (Confédération Internationale des Négociants en Oeuvres d’Art) International Art Treasures Exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum in 1962.

Unexplored Tredegar

 

Tour With a Difference.

Whereas everybody is familiar with the inside of Tredegar House, on the 28th July, for a change, we were given a tour of the OUTSIDE. Beginning near the Brew House, Paul discussed the original functions of the outbuildings and how different the walk from the public car park is today. This used to be the prettiest cricket pitch in Monmouthshire, where the Tredegar Park team, made up of estate staff, played. The Greater Barn and Lesser Barn used to be one gigantic barn before a fire in the middle in the 19th century. Now the staff car park separates the two buildings.

In the Cedar Garden we considered the exterior of the house and discussed a few architectural curiosities, such as the Bath Stone swags of fruit underneath the first floor windows: these are extremely rare and similar decorations can only really be found on Amsterdam Town Hall. A discussion of Sir Briggs’ monument lay to rest an old legend that he was so named at the Charge of the Light Brigade when he received a Russian sabre cut and was knighted. Apparently, he had been ‘Sir’ before this heroic adventure. We then walked through the Orangery Garden and into the Stable Yard, once called the Coach Washing Yard, where in later years Lord Tredegar stored his impressive collection of motor vehicles. On the exterior of the stables the columns, or pilasters, are actually depictions of ‘heel posts’ that divided stalls in stables, to show that although the building is remarkably grand, it is indeed a stable block. In the 17th century such heel-posts would often be ornamented at the top with carved wood or stone acorns or pineapples.

The Riding School was often used for social occasions like the start of the Tredegar Hunt. During the school years this was the gymnasium, which must have been bitterly cold on a winter’s morning! The Riding Stables with intact stalls were used by the British Army in both the Crimean and Boer Wars.

The evening, which ended with wine and nibbles prepared by our Maureen Butterworth and her helpers, was enjoyed by all.

Copyright © 2012 Friends of Tredegar House